I walked the old street of Sibu for my very first time yesterday. Thrilled at myself (after almost 2 years in Sibu), I finally got to stroll the old street and walked as far as from (if you know, as I'm still not sure of Sibu roads yet) where the Public Bank is up to where the Methodist Masland Church is located at Island Road.
Walking along five foot walk on my way to Methodist Bookstore for some cds, I saw an elderly homeless man, clothed in dirt stains torn jumper, dirty trousers, he wore no shoes exposing his black dirty charcoal soles feet lying still seemed like he was taking a long afternoon nap on the concrete floor of the five foot walk. His sudden movement to adjust his body's position the moment I walked by caused me to hurry up walking a little as I was not sure of his mental situation.

After I have picked up some cds, I took a little walk around Hoover Square for the first time since it was declared open last August. It was a quiet afternoon, no one seemed to be around the area where I can chat with to ask about the impressive Masland Methodist Church Complex that cost 20million in ringgit Malaysia to build also marks the biggest and expensive Church Complex in Sarawak.

After I've took some shots for jg's journal under scorching hot afternoon sun, I walked back to my car which I've parked quite a distance away. I passed by the elderly man again, this time he was in the state of deep sleep, undisturbed even by many passerby walking. I reached my car and was about to try on my new cd that I found out I've bought a karaoke cd instead that does not fit my car's cd player. Then, immediately a thought came to me, I might as well get the cd replaced to the ordinary one else I won't know when I'd be coming down this area again. As soon as I've replaced another parking coupon for my car, I walked back to the bookstore. Again, I walked faster to get pass the elderly man, this time half waking up and trying to sit up.
Walking back to my car using the same way a while later, I saw people gathering around a block away from where the elderly man was lying and overheard them talking among themselves, I heard, 'dah mati' (He's dead) I took a quick closer look as I walked by this time, he was motionless, leaning half seated against the wall with his eyes open.
I'm admitting, "I'm not a good Samaritan." The least I could do then was to call an ambulance but I walked away. As I was driving home, I kept thinking about how short life is and then if Rev. Hoover was there knowing that the man was dying what would he do? He could have given him a glass of water or a plate of food and the assurance of salvation so he can go in peace.
Walking back to my car using the same way a while later, I saw people gathering around a block away from where the elderly man was lying and overheard them talking among themselves, I heard, 'dah mati' (He's dead) I took a quick closer look as I walked by this time, he was motionless, leaning half seated against the wall with his eyes open.
I'm admitting, "I'm not a good Samaritan." The least I could do then was to call an ambulance but I walked away. As I was driving home, I kept thinking about how short life is and then if Rev. Hoover was there knowing that the man was dying what would he do? He could have given him a glass of water or a plate of food and the assurance of salvation so he can go in peace.
***
Here's for Christmas:-Silver bells!
Background Audio: The Platter
Background Audio: The Platter
0 comments:
Post a Comment