The Ghost Festival

Friday, September 4, 2009
I sometimes cuss under my breath at extremely slow internet connection from Streamyx on certain days. Neh, I'm not a type that cuss or barely cuss except for this.

Have you ever been informed not to talk to strangers on a deserted stretch of road during the seventh lunar month?

That's because, Hungry Ghost Festival is one where literally all hell breaks lose as the gates of hell will open to let our the 'hungry ghosts' to roam the earth during the seventh lunar month. I figure it's like the Halloween celebration of the West except that during Chinese Ghost Festival, Chinese commemorate and look after their ancestors with offerings of food, wealth and entertainment (such as Chinese Opera or commonly known as 'street wayang' to us here) to entertain the spirits. I've so far seen the street wayang once at Kuching, Tua Pek Kong's temple, Jalan Wayang (the one next to Harbour View Hotel).

A boat to send them back to China.

Yesterday morning while on my way to work, I saw flags, joss sticks, oranges, ashes of burned fake paper money and food were offered by the believers to the lost spirits or hungry ghosts at the roundabout outside the housing area, at the road junctions and by the roadside and then only I aware of, it's the hungry ghost's month to the Chinese.

While on my way home from work, I stumbled upon a lorry transporting a paper boat to somewhere to be released which (I was told) signifies giving directions to the lost ghosts or spirits of the ancestors and other deities. In Malaysia, during Ghost Festival where boats are released, I often hear older folks say, 'sending them (ancestors) back to China'. Most of the time, I can't comprehend why most Chinese festivals are to commemorate, 'the lost spirits'...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls