I didn't know what 'Gua Sha' was until I Googled it and had one treatment recently. I know about 'sha' (not sure if I pronounced it right though) growing up among Foochows, I heard them mentioned 'sha' when someone fainted during long hours standing either in a school assembly or 'pembarisan' during School Sport Day or Hari Kebangsaan under hot scorching sun.
The fainted student would be given 'Gua Sha' by a teacher usually a Chinese teacher using either one twenty cents coin or a small comb to scrape on the shoulders and upper back until the skin turned reddish and the student woke up.
The fainted student would be given 'Gua Sha' by a teacher usually a Chinese teacher using either one twenty cents coin or a small comb to scrape on the shoulders and upper back until the skin turned reddish and the student woke up.

Horn such as this (pic) can be purchased at any Chinese Medicine Store in town for only RM10 as Gua Sha's tool.
'Gua' means to scrape or rub and 'Sha' is the term used to describe blood stasis or when your skin become reddish. I had always seen one or two of my friends being Gua Sha during my school days but I had never dared to try and most of all because I've never fainted before in my life.
Until recently however, I'm not as such energetic as I was a young girl and I can't dance in the rain like before anymore, as age is catching up with me :| somehow, apart from rainy day was the culprit I had been feeling sick and fatigue last few days due to walking in and out of the house running errands, lots of craps during the festive and excessive carbonated soft drinks and tidbits. I had nauseating headache for the longest ever 3 days and I lost my appetite. I came home one day and as much as I could, I'd avoid Panadols for headache and would try the natural way by drinking plenty of warm water to relieve headache pain. However this time that didn't help much and I was introduced to Gua Sha using horn from some kind of animal.
Gua Sha somehow did a little healing miracle, after few minutes of scraping on my shoulders, below my neck and upper back, I begin to feel the headache gradually gone. I had a warm soup after Gua Sha and in the evening I'm already regained back my strength :) Gua Sha moves stuck qi (energy flow) and blood.
'Gua' means to scrape or rub and 'Sha' is the term used to describe blood stasis or when your skin become reddish. I had always seen one or two of my friends being Gua Sha during my school days but I had never dared to try and most of all because I've never fainted before in my life.
Until recently however, I'm not as such energetic as I was a young girl and I can't dance in the rain like before anymore, as age is catching up with me :| somehow, apart from rainy day was the culprit I had been feeling sick and fatigue last few days due to walking in and out of the house running errands, lots of craps during the festive and excessive carbonated soft drinks and tidbits. I had nauseating headache for the longest ever 3 days and I lost my appetite. I came home one day and as much as I could, I'd avoid Panadols for headache and would try the natural way by drinking plenty of warm water to relieve headache pain. However this time that didn't help much and I was introduced to Gua Sha using horn from some kind of animal.
Gua Sha somehow did a little healing miracle, after few minutes of scraping on my shoulders, below my neck and upper back, I begin to feel the headache gradually gone. I had a warm soup after Gua Sha and in the evening I'm already regained back my strength :) Gua Sha moves stuck qi (energy flow) and blood.
0 comments:
Post a Comment