Sarawak Club, Kuching

Monday, October 6, 2008
The sun greets me good morning, the sunglow gilds the sky, and the sunbeams are tender!

The sunrise in the east of the city.

***

The last time I walked into Sarawak Club before the fury fire engulfed the wooden Sarawak club house was a fine Friday's lunch with a friend at Sarawak's oldest club eating area by the club's swimming pool. Sarawak club is located on the periphery of downtown Kuching. It was feeling good to walk into the club with mostly people of the highest social level of all social classes or members of the upper class in Kuching then. Don't you think so? :)

The 130 year-old Sarawak Club, used to be an exclusive club house for males. It was also an elite club house for the white Rajah Officers and the earliest recreational facility established in Sarawak.

And the last function I attended was an invitation by the Habitat International organised an welcoming dinner for some Japan Habitat International volunteer members and we had a great evening entertained by Japanese traditional dance performance.

And the next thing I remembered when I woke up from my sleep one morning, I heard on a local radio station Sarawak Club gutted.
.
The Queen of England once visited Sarawak Club.
Ever since that fire, I'd pass by the Club feeling heartrending. The poor rich people place... although the Club will be rebuilt but it won't be the same again.

I walk into the new old Club... it looks new.

We were treated to an exclusive dinner at the Club's Hornbills Restaurant, a non-official gathering with some Sarawak Energy people. Where they served good sumptuous food the rich man should eat when he has a good stomach or no man can be wise on an empty stomach. *ramblings ;)

I do enjoy good food with good company though.

After dinner, :) I did get the chance to take a stroll around, take some photos of the club's memory collections remain after the fire, there is a history corner built to remember the day of the fire. And it felt like it has been ages since I last saw them the waitresses at the counter whom get to recognise most of their regular members to the club with wide smiles on their faces.

The place with new building looks no different from before the fire except gone are those memory of those days' of the old building. I do remember the list of names inscribed on the wooden walls at the eating area now replaced by white paint walls.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls