A "Kompia Day"

Tuesday, August 26, 2008
I had a kompia day in Sibu....
Kompia day is a dull day, is dough sprinkled with sesame seeds all over the top and baked in a kompia's charcoal oven, that's a metaphor.
View from Sibu's multy-storey carpark. Remember the marble ball fountains? *It reminds me of every piece of her post she's created does not sound like her anymore after that, she was my favorite among many on the blogsphere. This time, every sentence has got sigh sign drawn with indication of the feelings of depression and as always, I hope she would be alright :( I still love her piece of work.

I will be flying again after this. But remembering pictures of Sibu's market and my first time there, I took some time after work trying to put them together although a bit in a rush. Apart from having the biggest town square, the largest market and the tallest tower in the state, some other things Sibu town has got and is proud of are their marble ball fountains and fake swans.
Pics of Sibu's market taken sometime ago. This is the largest in the state and probably also the largest in Malaysia!

~~~(;> @

At Tiong Hua market one day. Tiong Hua however reminds me of the interest I had in studying Chinese's cultural and still live in me. Chinese in China always believe that China is situated in the center of the world, thus they called themselves 'Chung Kuo' (中國) and China has one of the world's oldest people...

Long time ago, our Malay elementary textbooks referred to Chinese people as Orang Tiong Hua, I still remember reading one when I was at kindy ;) Do you remember, Ali is a Malay boy, Mutusamy is an Indian boy and Ah Kau is a Tiong Hua Chinese boy who has got friends from all different races?

We were at Tiong Hua road, a eatery above Tiong Hua's market, I had a bowl of Lo Mii (Chinese herbs soup noodles) that was how, Ali, Mutusamy and Ah Kau came to me, the road's name Jalan Tiong Hua sparks back to me how Chinese was referred to as 'Orang Tiong Hua' during our school times. Lol! such a long way back then. Time really fries! Whenever I think about my school times, I'd think about Methodist Anglo-Chinese School it was my early primary school in Sarikei and we had a tuition teacher coming to the house every afternoon to help us with our school works, life as it is as a child.

Tiong Hua road is where lowland peat swamps with poor drainage system and experiences frequent flooding with sinking problem that's evidently visible along the road. Maybe I shouldn't talk about how bad it is. The fact is, it's really bad.
We bought some kompias from Rejang Park market that morning and was shocked to find out kompia is now 20cents per piece compared to when I was young, Sarikei's kompia was only 5cents. We love it fresh out of the kompia's charcoal oven with black coffee. I haven't forgotten, we called our younger times' coffee, grandmother's coffee. It was boiled water added in coffee powder with sugar in a 'tehko' (teapot) for the whole family.

~~~(:> #
And I had a day I thought I'd never have, one relax day among many days bogged down with work and work and work(?) I sat through episode after episode of CSI-NY on my laptop chewing on kompias that afternoon until I can feel my jaw hurts ":)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls