This is my third month in Sibu, I've been passing by Sibu Town Square a lot and remembering the two swans statue erected for Sibu as it official mascot. I admit, I wrote not-nicely about those swans or Sibu's swans directly hitting once used to be called friend.
Stepping for the first time on Sibu Town Square on the night Sibu held its Borneo Cultural Festival reminds me of many festivals our parents used to take us to and we called it 'fun-fair' where they were joyrides but 'palia' old rusty squeaking sound rides I can remember in Sarikei. The rain sometimes caused some parts muddy and I can remember how we used to walk home with mud stuck shoes. No, slippers as we wore only slippers during those days.
Stepping for the first time on Sibu Town Square on the night Sibu held its Borneo Cultural Festival reminds me of many festivals our parents used to take us to and we called it 'fun-fair' where they were joyrides but 'palia' old rusty squeaking sound rides I can remember in Sarikei. The rain sometimes caused some parts muddy and I can remember how we used to walk home with mud stuck shoes. No, slippers as we wore only slippers during those days.
The week-long festival was made up of a Malay/Melanau festival, Mandarin festival and Dayak festival which ran at the same time.
It also featured three themed nights at the Sibu Town Square - “Beats and Beauty”, “Fusion and Action” and “Hornbill and Heritage”, with cultural performances from various troupes.
The only thing different now is most festivals don't come with joy rides anymore but carnival and games booths where you get to play and win something home mostly China stuffed toys and cheapskate items.
The boys, tired of their toy cars, they wanted the big ones but we can't afford to buy them the big ones.

The boy finally settled for a smiley face on a bicycle helium filled balloon cos' the Pink Panther ones can't float in the air.

I wanted to try my luck on one of these Nokia handphones by just throw the rings in but I was rather too shy to try.

Fishing for kids. Don't give them a fish but teach them how to fish. My nephews got two key chains from fishing.

A cute kung-fu panda my 5yo nephew adores so much. After much and many times of trying to hit four red boxes at the game, you won't want to know how much we spent only to get this little kung-fu panda for him.
On the closing night, we took another stroll down the Sibu Town Square but was hindered by crowd of people streaming in and jamming the aisles to the booths area.
On the closing night, we took another stroll down the Sibu Town Square but was hindered by crowd of people streaming in and jamming the aisles to the booths area.








0 comments:
Post a Comment