Sibu, Swan Town

Tuesday, May 27, 2008
I went out this morning, intending to drop by at an eatery nearby to take away something for lunch. Amazing enough, it actually took me one and a half hours driving to reach home from the hub of bustling town on Tuesday morning, driving around and around. I ended up at the other end of the world (it seemed like). I realized I have almost reached Durin bridge. I drove back looking for Sanyan building as my direction-point and started all over again figuring out where is north, south, east and west. I realised I am just simply too poor with direction. That evening, it took me an hour in a small Sibu Town looking for a building with a 'yellow tiger' bank to do a transaction.

I only realised Swan was made mascot for Sibu town recently. A mascot by the Rajang River.

Throughout history swans have been associated with royalty and the swan are also found in myths and folk tales dealing with love.. When two swans meet face to face, they formed a heart shape in between. I don’t know how swan got it place in Sibu as it mascot, I haven’t seen a real swan yet so far. I guess it was picked to represent Sibu’s as harmony and peaceful town. Like Miri seahorse city, Kuching cat city and Mukah, prawn town.

Busy Sibu town by the river bank is busy with people throng in as Gawai (harvest festival) is approaching. 3 days more to go, Ibans or Dayaks will be celebrating with Sarawak and Sabah states having Monday and Tuesday public holiday days off for the celebration. It's a long weekend again!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls