Miri's Seahorse and Airport Road Outcrop

Tuesday, April 1, 2008
It was April Fool's day yesterday.

'Airport Road Outcrop', the formation is made up of sandstones and mudstones from the Miri Formation, deposited in a shallow marine environment some 10-15 million years ago.
View from the outcrop site, the Airport Road housing area.

The Miri Formation is the structural history of the Miri Formation, and provided a good analogue to the oil and gas fields offshore Miri. (The Borneo Post March 23, 2008)
Hmm.. It's a Geological wonder, I guess only the geologists can explain them more in details. I happen to read the article from our local Sunday Post (Borneo Post)
Can see my right foot where I stand on the rock/outcrop.

At a glance, it looks nothing more than just one of the many rock formation. I had never really noticed the geological wonder until I come close about it recently and touched for myself what I actually had missed for the past many years.
Worn out and faded information board of the outcrop at the site.

As a matter of fact, this is the place I was once a regular. At almost every early hours in the morning I'd walk from Brighton (opposite Miri Marriott), through Taman Bumiko and up the hill and back to Brighton again that took me approximately 1.5hrs of walk (to keep fit) every morning for almost three years during those days in Miri. (This is also the hill where we had our 'stamina building', building strength and stamina before our every Mt. Murud trip/climb)
Outcrop from Taman Awam Park.

Amazing! I'd never noticed the outcrop and thought it was just any ordinary rock by the roadside until today.
Crossing over from where the outcrop site is the Taman Awam Miri (Miri public park) that was built around 2000-1 (can't remember which year) and I haven't been there either until just recently.
A place for afternoon walk and family weekend together. This 24.6-acre park offers an opportunity to conquer your fear of walking on a suspension bridge.
A large modern children play structure built here is extremely popular.
In Miri every park you go to, got 'seahorse' ... children at the pool.
There are flora gardens, souvenir center, canteen, an observatory platform, children's playground, stone carving, fountains, pavilions and jogging track..
View from observatory platform at the park. Hilltop Garden, Riam Road housing area.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls