Chinese History Museum, Kuching

Sunday, August 8, 2010
It was a lovely sunny afternoon, after had done with my errands, I drove down to the waterfront for a stroll bringing along my new bulky handbag which I've turned into my dslr camera's bag that don't shout out, 'hi, I'm carrying a dslr!'

When I was there, I saw two young photographers with their dslr and longer sized lenses, avoiding them I headed to the Chinese Museum instead.

The Chinese Museum's keeper was at the counter about to call it a day when I stepped in. When he saw me, he welcomed me and asked me where I am from. I *lied when I told him I'm from Sibu (I've been living in Sibu but not originally from Sibu).

Think that the museum is a place where cameras are restricted, I was about to put my dslr back into my bulky handbag that the museum keeper cheerfully informed me, 'you can take as many pictures as you like', in English. 'I can!?' I replied excitedly, *blushing.

He then led me to a Chinese shoulder carriage inside the museum where a donation box is placed in the carriage seat and explained to me that the museum is run by the Chinese Organisation without state government funding and all donations from visitors in term of cash are welcome to keep the museum up and running.

According to the museum keeper, all artifacts in the Chinese Museum were donated by individual donors. Some of the artifacts came from as far as KK, Sabah.

Antique basket.

The olden days Chinese Opera musical equipments.

The 'dacing' as I remember it was called.

I once saw the same vintage player at my grandmother's house at Ban Hock Road.
Some other things that can be seen in the Chinese Museum are the portraits of the early pioneers and Chinese leaders and history of Chinese in Kuching.

The Foochows according to the museum statement made the second largest group of Chinese after the Hakka settlers around the early 1900s in Borneo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls