The Story Of Storytelling

Monday, November 16, 2009
Each time when I'm driving my nephew to his kindy, I'll have 20mins on the road (to the kindy) a demand (from the nephew) storytelling session, I'll have to create a fairy tale or a fiction story to please him through the 20mins drive. It all started when he told me he had a nightmare and wanted me to 'create' a nightmare as my story to tell him.

He (nephew) must be the main character, the hero and the hero must not die in every story I'm telling him. He's an attentive listener, he "discerns logic" what is small can never overcome what is big and it's not logic if I'd say, 'a rat eats a cat' unless the rat has a kind of supernatural power.

With my limited Mandarin and inaccurate intonation and pronunciation, I'd get pronunciation correction from time to time from my nephew that amuses me much. And each time when I say, 'this is a special kind of an animal', (referring to any animal that can talk) I'd get a response, 'I know you'd say that....' as if he's already know how the story is going to be.

His special part of a story is the ending with the hero did his heroic part again. And if the hero must die, he must be resurrected in the following chapter.

My best story I'd ever told was, he as a 60yo scientist but living as a 6yo boy. The professor-scientist has invented age reversal pills that changed him from a 60yo old man to a 6yo boy.

At the end of that story, he was telling me, 'that means I'm as smart as that professor-scientist? Yay!'

It motivates both of us nevertheless in some way or another :) Soon I'll miss all these.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls