A Visit To Local Market Of Kundasang

Sunday, June 7, 2009
Kota Kinabalu, Sabah is all about its majestic Mount Kinabalu. I've always wanted to climb and to reach its summit but little effort was made to reach my goal which I'd usually give the answer, 'I haven't got a chance to do so' when I was asked about, have I climbed the mountain?

This trip had provided me with great experience and sufficient information about the climbing adventure which has also inspired me a lot.

When the sky is clear, white colored Laban Rata hut can be seen from Mt. Kinabalu Heritage Resort. Whenever I looked out of the window to see, I wondered, how nice!

Closer look, (pic below) this is how Laban Rata looks like...

Anyway, upon leaving Kinabalu Park on our way to the resort on the first day, It was disappointing for not, at least get a look at Timpohon Gate which is next few hundred meters of walk from the park.

Our tour van picked us up after our lunch at Mount Kinabalu Heritage Restaurant that afternoon and brought us to Rose Garden. When I heard of Rose Garden, I started humming the tune of an old song, 'I beg your pardon, I'd never promised you a rose garden....' and that song ran through my head over and over again when I was uploading pictures unto Picasa Web Alblum this morning. Hmmm... Do I sound old?

A small amount of fee were collected at the entrance to the Rose Garden. I'd expected something similar to Cameron Highlands' Rose Garden but it was nothing compared to that...

We were told, the Rose Garden has rose of temperate climate from variable petal colours ranging from red to orange, yellow and paler forms but unfortunately on our visit, we didn't get to see many in blooming yet.

Pictures taken in Rose Garden:



We took a stroll around Kundasang local market at the foothill of Mount Kinabalu after our visit to the Rose Garden and the children started to show their loss-of-interest in all these plants and greens but dragged themselves along with sighed and shrugged all the way.

Kundasang valley has vegetable farms by Kadazan-Dusun and the local produce is sold wholesale daily at these stalls as we were told.

Here is where you'd get almost everything fresh straight from the farm and most of all a thought of how nice it is to do market chores in the cool mountain breeze.

Vegetables are packed nicely.

We bought a pack of 8 red fresh tomatoes for only RM2 and my mom was surprised with fresh and cheap vegetables she's got.

We saw these small durians but didn't get the chance to try.

Bottles of honey stolen from the bees, from the hive of wild bees apparently.

Lovely fresh flowers...

Behind the row of these vegetable stalls, the wholesalers keep their produce in bulks. Just look at the bulk of cabbages.

That's why Kundasang is famous for the wholesale vegetable market along the roadside that attracts crowd almost everyday and the business goes on whole day long and seven days a week.

Of all the plants and flowers, I stumbled upon this interesting plant. I reckon this plant looks like 'little red dolphins' :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls