A Wedding Reception In Sarikei

Sunday, May 10, 2009
We made our way to Sarikei after breakfast on early morning of Mother's Day, the journey this time took us 1.5hrs. Tackling an inquisitive 6yo nephew riddles just about everything that came across his mind practically through the whole of 1.5hrs journey, I was kept busy answering questions and a child is frank, not pretentious and can almost believed anything that was said.

The cowboy town, once bicycles and motorbikes seemed more than cars has seen a drastic change. Once everything looked big and the road wide when I was a child, now seem small and compact. Sarikei has more cars now compared to when it was ten years ago. It's still a town of swiftlets though known for its high value's bird nets undeniable, and nutrient food sought for among the rich.

We attended a wedding lunch reception of a friend who came back to his hometown with his newly-wed wife last weekend with a delightful gesture of inviting all family members, relatives in Sarikei and old time friends that are still residing in Sarikei loyally to share the occasion of their marriage recently.

Slurping on luscious broth shark's fin soup served after the first 'Cold Dish Platter' at the wedding reception that afternoon, I was engrossed by the reminiscence of Sarikei once more, although gone are 'roses are red violets are blue' once upon a time, but memories of the past still linger on every time I happen to be in Sarikei meeting friends of my younger days.

Funny thing is, I could not remember, when was the last time I attended a wedding in Sarikei and when was the last I was invited to a wedding I could not attend in Sarikei because I was always away. But when I'm at one in Sarikei, it seems like I've got to work hard to remember, 'who is who'.

Nevertheless, celebrating a friend's special occasion has always put a glee bubbling feeling inside me, not just the sumptuous delicious food, 'when was the last time, I was served with Foochow style 7-8 course meal' but most importantly, being able to honor the newlyweds and family members with our presence to show support.

I attended many weddings of many different cultures, everyone of them I find was a joy, a bliss to share.

Although frankly, Sarikei's Chinese restaurants have not changed much since. But, they still serve their typically Chinese Foochow chef's delicacies, I rated crispy roast pork leg best and was an awesomely scrumptious dish. I was truly contented. I wish I could go back for more of that crispy roast pork leg :)

Congratulations once again to CS and wife, wishing you a wonderful beginning, and love to last a lifetime!

We visited mom to wish her a happy Mother's Day and headed straight home after the lunch reception in the afternoon. The inquisitive 6yo however was exhausted and slept through the journey home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls