Sungai Sedim, Kedah, Penang: 15th May, 2009

Saturday, May 16, 2009
I've had a hankering to visit this site for some time, and finally did so yesterday. The weather was not at all promising - dawn was a wash-out, and I had forgotten that Friday is the weekend in Kedah, so the place was way busier than I'd excpected.

In spite of this, there were a few good birds around.



The view from the canopy walkway is spectacular.



Temminck's Sunbird is a species I rarely see in the Peninsula, though it is common enough in parts of Sabah.



This male Pale Blue Flycatcher was a pleasant surprise. As the photo shows, he was singing away, and was very showy.



White-bellied Yuhinas are common enough, but always difficult to get good shots of.



This Chestnut-breasted Malkoha was hunting for caterpillars around the car park.



Later on I found this Green-billed Malkoha. It had just been killed by a car unfortunately.



Moustached Babblers were singing everywhere.



I was sure when I photographed this that it was a new species of dragonfly for me, but on inspecting the books, it turned out to be a green morph of Ictinogomphus decoratus, a common species which is more usually yellow and black. Still a very nice-looking beast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls