At the weekend, I spent the whole day of Friday, Saturday up till 1am and eventually finished watching all 34 episodes of Little Nyonya (by Mediacorp TV Singapore) on Sunday afternoon like as if I was spelled, I'd go back immediately after work, lunch and dinner watching between tears, ridicule and sympathy the mixture of emotional and melodramatic drama albeit its little unrealistic-some-sort-of-drama. On the other hand, I was truly intrigued by the Peranakan tradition and culture portrayed in the drama that has provided me with much exposure into the insights of the Peranakan, as a 'lost' descendants of Peranakan myself, there's a lot about Peranakan that I've yet to learn.
And omg! there's this frivolous guy actor in the drama Chen Sheng played by Pierre Png can really joget and sing pantun.
That Saturday evening, we attended a niece's first month birthday and red egg party. Traditionally, red egg party is to celebrate a baby's first month birthday also known as 'mua nguek' (full month) to us Hokkien where the parents will introduce the latest addition to friends and relatives at the same time, the baby's name is also announced.And omg! there's this frivolous guy actor in the drama Chen Sheng played by Pierre Png can really joget and sing pantun.

1 month old. Welcome to the world, baby Karen.
Red egg party is usually being celebrated at home, main course at the party is 'mee suah red wine' or longevity noodles in chicken soup and red eggs.
Red egg party is usually being celebrated at home, main course at the party is 'mee suah red wine' or longevity noodles in chicken soup and red eggs.

Basically at red egg party, hard-boiled eggs dyed red are featured, along with sweet cakes or candies. According to some sources, an even number of eggs means a daughter has been born, while an odd number represents a son. I'm not so sure about number of eggs though, I just love how babies smell, their tiny hands and tiny feet :)
Sunday afternoon, we gave ourselves a little break and had some table games with plenty of food...
Sunday afternoon, we gave ourselves a little break and had some table games with plenty of food...



0 comments:
Post a Comment