A Life of a Tai Tai

Wednesday, April 1, 2009
A group of four women in their late 40s-50s were chatting among themselves inside a cafe in the town. The word 'tai tai' came into mind abruptly when I passed by them to take a seat inside near to the cafe's glass windows.

They came in their husbands' luxury cars, their hair were properly salon set and dyed for the reason of hiding their white hair. They wore clothes that connote their 'tai tai' ordinariness carrying brand name handbags.

It was unusual of me, I ordered a cup of traditional cafe Macchiato to satisfy my yearning need for a caffeine hit adequately, bitter Macchiato came in small amount and chicken with cold fruit sandwich to satisfy my morning hunger.

The 'tai tai' intense chatting followed by giggles laughter didn't bother the rest of the morning regulars to the cafe. Sitting just across them, I deliberately fixed my ear to listen to their early morning 'tai tai' interesting gossips. The 'tai tai', they are rare these days, I wondered what's a life these privileged ladies of means, bounds of time and money are enjoying. I envied them for a while for a life with no work-related stress and no financial worries. Maybe.

I sipped slowly on my bitter Macchiato although it was only a small amount of hot, foamed milk its thick caffeine is enough to boost me up in an instant. I can feel as if I had swallowed on an excessive amount of drug that would get me high in within seconds as the Macchiato slipped down my throat into my stomach. My stomach churning.

I felt uncomfortable. Leaving the 'tai tai' still engrossed with their gossips exchange I moved out of the cafe for fresh air.

Sibu new Police Complex nears completion, is the first such building built for PDRM in Sarawak.

Remembering a notice of parking offense I received a week ago, I took an unsure way heading towards SMC Multi-Storey building hoping to reach there straight despite of my poor sense of direction. I headed towards level 12 following the directions pasted inside a lift and reached a department with a counter for inquiry and asked where to settle parking offense.

Demolished Sibu Town Hall to give way for new buildings.

I was instructed to another department and with no hassle settled the compound fees in just few seconds.

The sky was bright when I walked out to the open space car park on SMC Multi-Storey building for the first time. After being absence from the compact town for a while, I looked down the town in its most laid back morning where people are in no hurry.

The town with the tallest tower in the state. The Sanya Tower.

And a sudden feeling of peace emerged inside me for a while. The town by 9.15 am at its slowest pace.

Yellow and red taxis parking along the stretch of road heading towards town center.

The privileged life of a 'tai tai' played back in my mind while I was heading for my next chores.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls