Jesselton Waterfront

Monday, April 13, 2009
Exhausted. Like I'd climbed Mt. Kinabalu up to its Summit Plateau. The engine smell gave me nausea, queasiness after the boat rides to islands, I dozed off as soon as I hit the bed at 6pm and slept through til the next day.

Ohhh! it's my birthday today! Hotlink ad that greets me once I stepped down from the city bus :)

KK or Kota Kinabalu was once known as Kampung Api-api (flames) a fishing village before Jesselton during the British era in late 1980s argh! phailed! it's 1800s and named after Sir Charles Jessel, Chairman of British North Borneo Company.

When North Borneo together with Sarawak, Singapore & Federation of Malaya formed the Federation of Malaysia in 1963, the state became known as Sabah and Jesselton remained its capital.

Jesselton was renamed Kota Kinabalu on September 30, 1968 and received official city status from the Malaysian government on February 2, 2000. (Wiki)

Jesselton is now Jesselton Point Ferry Terminal to ferries that provide daily services to island resorts, diving activities and island snorkeling for tourists throughout the day.

The marina destination has it besides a non-stop boat services throughout the day, I find it's also a fantastic place to hang around. I saw futsal games court there, they are restaurants and cafés with majestic scenery of South China Sea and the glorious sunsets. Handicrafts stalls or souvenir shops for visitors are everywhere, can't be missed.

It's basically a great place for a stroll and a great one-stop terminal for all island excursion needs.

All I love about KK is, its spectacular ocean view and beautiful island beaches.

Opposite the Warisan Square and Centre Point is the Anjung Samudera or Waterfront where more restaurants, cafes and seafood restaurants are located waiting for seafood craze! Just my craze, seafood cream cheese is so awesomelicious!

Sumptuous fresh seafood right from the sea brought in by fishing boats dock along the wharf. Across the waterfront just a few meters away there located the wet market and central market.

The central market is a busy tourist spot during the day. I was there too early in the morning and most shops were still closed. When I reached Centre Point from 1 Borneo in the afternoon, it rained heavily that I have to forget about going there.
View from Waterfront and fishing vessels.

Seafood Village at Waterfront.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde SandsPingLebanese Girls