Biawaks On Sapi Island

Monday, April 13, 2009
Sapi Island, one of the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park islands has a small stretch of sand beach with crystal clear water. Like all other islands it's a place for tourists snorkeling, sunbathing and scuba diving spot.

The islands are marine and animals fully-protected reserves areas. It's a heaven for all kinds of fish in the water, animals and birds.

The town where I live, cats and dogs are usually seen under the tables at kopitiams waiting for crumbs to drop, at Sapi island biawaks can be seen under the tables waiting for crumbs!

Seeing this unusual phenomena, I asked one of the locals on the island, will they sting with their tails or attack visitors?

He told me, these biawaks or monitor lizards are 'friendly'... They will only scare off anyone comes near them by swishing their tails around.

I do have snakes phobia, I don't like lizards. I'm 'geli' to anything that looks like a lizard. The moment I spotted one of these monitor lizards stick out its frilled a forked tongue like a snake and crawl towards us, I felt like screaming!

Eventually I was told they are about 20-30 of them on Sapi island.

I know Sandesh would love to set a trap in the evening. The place where I live, biawaks are hunted for their tasty meat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls