Sungai Seduan Catchment And Brooke Drive

Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Sungai (river) Seduan is also a catchment during monsoon rainfall. The hot afternoon sun didn't deter me from taking a short walk after I'd done with my chores at Sg. Merah Bazaar.

I photographed something I thought would look like a ship's docking, waiting for its passengers to board and ready to sail far away :)

The ship-structure could mean the reminiscence of either early Foochow at Sg. Merah or the White Rajah's ship upon visiting Sibu as the drive is also known as Brooke Drive named after the White Rajah Brooke in Sarawak.

It was hot in the afternoon, there were few people at the sheds resting and workers from the nearby construction sites taking a break puffing cigarettes. What surprised me was there were a couple or two people taking their mid-afternoon walk around the park in that hot afternoon. As they walked passed me, one of them spoke as in murmuring in Foochow, "siew chui ar?" (going swimming?) I turned around, ignoring but amused at the random question, I mused to myself, "Do I look like I'm going swimming in my office attire?" ...

I took few minutes walking down the steps when the water is low the ship looks as if it's floating in the air. The red Seduan River is one of many polluted rivers in Sarawak. The river water is usually brown in colour or known as red from the red root trees and is murky during heavy downpour due to the rushing water from the upper river.

Sg. Seduan divides Sg. Merah Bazaar into two parts connected by a bridge. A bazaar brings many reminiscence to early Chinese Foochow, where two memorial parks namely Wong Nai Siong Memorial Park and Reverend James Matthew Hoover Memorial Park are located.

It's a busy-busy bazaar.

Beautification project was part of Sibu Town Development Project to turn Sibu into one of the tourist attractions in Sarawak.

Stone that indicating Sg. Seduan catchment.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls