Whenever I see cream crackers, I'd remember a group of notorious Foochow boys at school...
One afternoon, a friend and I, we were riding our bicycles on a 1.5 miles road to school for the afternoon extra-curricular activity in a small Sarikei Town. Although the heat from the sun touched our skin at mid afternoon but didn't dampen us from cycling on. We'd cycle at 20-30kmph on our ladies bicycles and reach the destination sweat soaked which was also what we had thought of as a good fat burning exercise.
My friend and I, both of us had agreed to cycle there as it was a weekend afternoon and being in school where friends are was always the best place to be then as student. Along the way, a group of boys on their bicycles sped up to overtake us and I heard a voice shouting in Foochow, 'SOUUU TAAA PIANGGG!!'
Hearing that, I turned to my friend, our eyes met and a second later we both busted out in laughter so hard I could almost fell off the bicycle.
One afternoon, a friend and I, we were riding our bicycles on a 1.5 miles road to school for the afternoon extra-curricular activity in a small Sarikei Town. Although the heat from the sun touched our skin at mid afternoon but didn't dampen us from cycling on. We'd cycle at 20-30kmph on our ladies bicycles and reach the destination sweat soaked which was also what we had thought of as a good fat burning exercise.
My friend and I, both of us had agreed to cycle there as it was a weekend afternoon and being in school where friends are was always the best place to be then as student. Along the way, a group of boys on their bicycles sped up to overtake us and I heard a voice shouting in Foochow, 'SOUUU TAAA PIANGGG!!'
Hearing that, I turned to my friend, our eyes met and a second later we both busted out in laughter so hard I could almost fell off the bicycle.

I was a fan of Sou Ta Piang (pronounce in Foochow) or cream crackers during the periods of form 2 to form 3.
At every recess, I'd take out a nicely wrapped in white A4 paper 8-10 pieces of cream crackers I 'tapoed' from home and munch on them while the rest rushed to the school canteen for canteen food. Most of the time I was alone by myself inside the classroom munching on cream crackers while browsing through next period lessons.
One unfortunate day, when the routine was as usual a boy sneaked up from behind me whispered in ghostly voice 'sou ta piangg' then followed by a loud giggle that had me startled, I wished my fist was strong enough to give him a very big punch on his face but instead, I broke out in laughter. From that moment onwards, I was known as sou ta piang to a group of notorious boys in the class. It was a humorous teasing by the way.
A classmate by the name of Rose Wong however experienced the same unfortunate name-calling. Rose Wong was somehow almost sounds like 'long kuong' (pronounce in Foochow) or egg rolls to the group of the same notorious boys. She didn't like that and would roll her eyes upon being called 'long kuong'.
Sou ta piang has always been my favorite crackers especially with hot Milo (hot chocolate) at breakfast and an afternoon nibble at work.
At every recess, I'd take out a nicely wrapped in white A4 paper 8-10 pieces of cream crackers I 'tapoed' from home and munch on them while the rest rushed to the school canteen for canteen food. Most of the time I was alone by myself inside the classroom munching on cream crackers while browsing through next period lessons.
One unfortunate day, when the routine was as usual a boy sneaked up from behind me whispered in ghostly voice 'sou ta piangg' then followed by a loud giggle that had me startled, I wished my fist was strong enough to give him a very big punch on his face but instead, I broke out in laughter. From that moment onwards, I was known as sou ta piang to a group of notorious boys in the class. It was a humorous teasing by the way.
A classmate by the name of Rose Wong however experienced the same unfortunate name-calling. Rose Wong was somehow almost sounds like 'long kuong' (pronounce in Foochow) or egg rolls to the group of the same notorious boys. She didn't like that and would roll her eyes upon being called 'long kuong'.
Sou ta piang has always been my favorite crackers especially with hot Milo (hot chocolate) at breakfast and an afternoon nibble at work.
0 comments:
Post a Comment