The 'Niu' Year, Day One

Tuesday, January 27, 2009
The sunny skies on the morning of first Niu day gave me a smile because the sun smiled on me, it wasn't as how the weather forecast predicted, continuous raining into the Niu Year. Nevertheless it rained through the night and the high tides brought flash floods at certain low laying areas, again.


"Hellow there, me and my golden ox want to wish you a Happy Niu Year!"


Most Chinese homes welcome new year with long life noodles (Mee Sua in Hokkien), we had our long life noodles chicken soup with mushrooms first thing in the morning.

As egg symbolises new life, it's a tradition each one in the house to have an egg each in their chicken soup long life noodles and no one is excluded followed by the head of the house (usually the father) wishing everyone 'Happy New Year' or little speeches of New Year's greeting.


Angpows are given by married couples to small children. Young children and unmarried children will greet their parents first with well wishes and collect angpows from them then followed by kong kong, po po's new year words, 'Child, how old are you now?' or 'You are another year old, already.'

For me, Chinese New Year is all about getting old.


Followed by Open House. Open House is when friends, colleagues, cousins both near and far come together and the gathering is about eating, drinking and catching up to do among old friends, far and near relatives and so forth.


The cousins, nieces and nephews come together once a year to lit fireworks.


The drinking session. I had a 'drinking drama', I don't drink. As it's once a year thing with friends I get to meet only once a year, I'm beginning to adapt into it finely. I don't mine a glass or two so I had half glass of Otard mixed with Sprite, first *forced to drink. That was fine followed by the second glass of Martell Golden Bleu not until the third glass, the alcohol start to take effect.

No. I wasn't drank.... very much sober but feeling 'floating'. The ten of us finished almost two bottles of hard drink that afternoon challenging and forcing each other 'one-go'. When everyone's left, I threw out everything into the toilet bowl and had the rest of the afternoon sleeping.

That was my first day of Niu Year.


Red packets (angpows) come in many different designs. My niece's been collecting angpow packets.


Kong Sii Fatt Chai!





0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

© 2010 Swiftlet Love Design by Dzignine
In Collaboration with Edde Sands • Ping • Lebanese Girls